What's Frolicking in the Backyard?

Last night, Gabe was the first to spot a small ear flicker in the grasses near the doe out back as he watched out his window from the top bunk. He patiently waited and watched a tiny, wobbly fawn emerge from the tall grasses for a few minutes before hiding again so that mom could graze in the twilight. This morning I looked out to see the doe still out back in the tall grass and ushered Lydia to watch. Then, to Lydia's and my wonder, the doe came into the open with twin fawns frolicking behind her. The fawns skipped, leaped, and ran circles closer and closer to the house. I woke Gabe from his dreams to see them. This was a dream fulfilled for him. This was the closest he was going to get to having a fawn of his very own. He asked me last night if they grow as fast as dogs. Yes, babies don't stay babies for long, do they? In their newness, they are always a marvel of God's creation, and we take hold of that wonder and beauty in the fleeting time of babyhood.

There they go.

This scripture spoke to me when I was past due, impatiently awaiting labor and birth of Gabe. I realized that if God knows the right time for the deer, then he surely knows and chooses the right time for us, his sons and daughters. The Lord was questioning Job. "Do you watch when the deer gives birth to her fawn? Do you count the months until they give birth and know the right time for them to give birth? They lie down, their young are born, and then the pain of giving birth is over. Their young ones grow big and strong in the wild country...." Job 39:1-4 I rested in that newly found trust and faith the last day of my pregnancy, and His timing was perfect to the day and hour.

No comments: